I was watching the Today show one morning and came across a story about Veronica Garz who had started a grain-free food company based on foods that she grew up on as a Mexican American. Check out her story in more detail here. Since I have numerous allergies I was interested in finding out more about these products. Just because they are grain free doesn't mean they are healthy. Often gluten-free foods contain added sugar, added oil or contain hard to pronounce ingredients in an effort to make them palatable. So I went to Whole Foods to check the products out and was pleasantly surprised. Many of them were free of added oil and were made of real food. Now, their products are still considered processed food, but as far as processed foods go they aren't too bad for you! I haven't had a chance to try them all but the few I tried were delicious. The cashew tortillas and the queso dips are oil and sugar-free so I decided to concoct a new dish for myself. Give it a try and while you are at it, give Siete products a try for yourself too! I love a family run company!
Riley's Lentil Quesadilla
2-3 tbsp of chili lentils
1 Siete Cashew Flour tortilla
2-3 tbsp Siete Queso
1/4-1/2 Avocado, diced
- Lay a tortilla in the bottom of a non-stick sauté pan on medium-high heat.
- Layer the lentils followed by the quest and finally the avocado on one half of the tortilla.
- Once the bottom of the tortilla is starting to brown, flip the side with no filling onto the filling side folding the tortilla in half.
- Brown for another minute or so then flip for another minute until both sides are brown.
- Remove from heat to a plate and top with your favorite salsa.