Watermelon is thought to contain few nutrients and be high in sugar. However, watermelon is packed with lots of vitamins all for very minimal calories. Watermelon has been cultivated for many years dating back to the ancient Egyptians. In the United States, Florida is the top producer of watermelon China wins the prize world-wide.
What is it?
According to dictionary.com a watermelon is "the large melon-like fruit of a plant of the gourd family, with smooth green skin, red pulp, and watery juice."
- Watermelon is rich in Lycopene which is protective against heart disease and prostate cancer.
- Watermelon is very hydrating as it is 90% water.
- Watermelon is rich in antioxidants like Vitamins A and C. Antioxidants decrease free radicals and in turn decrease cancer risk.
- Watermelon contains fiber and water which decrease constipation and promote a healthy digestive tract.
- Watermelon has been proven to decrease muscle soreness and improve recovery in athletes due to an amino acid called L-citrulline.
- Watermelon improves skin and hair growth and hydration.
How to Store
Watermelon is best kept refrigerated uncut for 2-3 weeks and can be kept cut in the refrigerator for 2-3 days taking care to keep it tightly sealed so it does not absorb other food odors.
How to Use
Watermelon can be eaten as is or used in smoothies, salads or a cold soup. Check out this festive fruit salad for a different take on fruit salad!
Red, White and Blue Salad with Oil-free Watermelon Vinaigrette
For the Salad:
1 Small watermelon
1 Pint Organic Blueberries
For the Watermelon Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup watermelon
1/4 date syrup
1 tablespoon vinegar of choice (I had a lemon cucumber vinegar on hand but any fruit flavored vinegar will do)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Slice watermelon and jicama into 1/4 inch slices. Use a star cookie cutter to cut out stars reserving left over watermelon for the vinaigrette.
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine watermelon, jicama, blueberries and dressing. Garnish with fresh mint and serve immediately.