What is it?
Spirulina is a cyanobacterium or blue-green algae that has some pretty amazing health benefits.
1) It is rich in chlorophyll which removes toxins from the blood and helps boost the immune system.
2) It is high in protein containing 4 grams of protein per one tablespoon. Furthermore, it has a net utilization rate of protein between 50-61%.
3) It is a great source of anti-oxidants and B vitamins.
4) It is high in iron and the type of iron is readily absorbable and easily digested.
5) It is high in calcium and contains 26x more calcium than milk.
6) It contains Gamma Linolenic Acid and Omega 3 Fatty Acids both of which have anti-inflammatory properties.
7) Research suggest that it may help control blood sugar and decrease medication dependency in Type 2 Diabetics.
8) It helps to increase fat burning during exercise.
Where to buy it:
Spirulina can be found in any health food store and online.
How to Use It:
Try this great recipe!
Spirulina Energy Bars
1 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup shredded coconut
2 cups chopped dates
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup tart dried cherries
2 tsp. Spirulina powder
Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until all ingredients are well chopped and blended. Pour into a large bowl and form into a large ball. Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment or wax paper. Spread evenly into dish and allow to harden in refrigerator. Cut into 24 pieces or whatever size you desire. You can also roll into bite size balls. Store in and airtight container.